HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first Traditional kill!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2005, 08:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My first Traditional kill!

Congrats MG!

Back to the original question, I don't have a set limit. I don't start my season by thinking "ok, if a deer comes within x yards of me, I'll shoot, or if it's farther than that, I'll pass". Of course we should stay within our limits, but (for me at least) that can change on a given day. Some days I may not feel good about a shot at 10 yds, another day 25 may be just fine. I'm not going to take a 60 yd shot, but I couldn't say that 30 yds would be out of bounds if everything was right.

Bows--traditional or otherwise--are limited by the person behind them. Many of the old icons made amazing long-distance kills on game. On the video "The Legendary Hunts of Ben Pearson" Ben killed a javalina that was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy off. The narrator give the distance in city blocks (I forget how many), and in an article I read about that same hunt several years ago they gave the distance as well over 100 yds.

I'm not advocating taking 100 yds shots with any bow--what I'm saying is the bow will do it's part if you can do yours.

In all honesty, it's not likely I'll be taking over a 15-20 yd shot this season, because most of the places I hunt are too trashy to allow a clear shot any further--I'll be lucky to get that much in some places. I'll still practice longer shots though, just in case. Practicing at longer distances makes the closer shots easier anyway.

Chad