HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking to get into hunting...need direction on rifle and caliber.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:45 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: Looking to get into hunting...need direction on rifle and caliber.

"....I just returned from Canada and our outfitter hunts all species all over Cananda. He told me that he owns a .22 rimfire, a 12 Ga pump shotgun and a 308 bolt rifle...."
Close enough (22LR, 12 gauge, 30-06) --- a .308 is a fair substitute, drags a bit on the heavier bullets, but close.
=================================

Bronco,
"...."Beware of the person with only one rifle - he probably knows how to use it."
A very appealing, rugged, prolitariat, underdogimage (damn near myth IMHO), but I seldom have found it to be true in real life (possible, yes ---dominant, no). Personally I've found the person with only one gun usually don't shoot much and usually don't hunt much eitherandthe gunusually spendsway too muchtime in the closet. I've definitely seen the "one gunners" over-represented amongst those who are all gung ho for an away from home/remote hunt a year in advance and then drop out at the finish line. Usually money is the issue. Generally folks who are passionate, dedicated and progressing in their pursuits usually expand their tool sets.

I'm sure everyone is ready to list all the exceptions; however, my comments are simply based on what I've seen over a long time with folk who swear to me (and cross their heart) that they want to "head for the high country for elk."