HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear
Old 09-08-2005, 09:20 PM
utah300rum

Default RE: considering getting into bow hunting, need help with gear

Check out www.huntersfriend.com they have a pretty goodpage on bow selection. Left hand side of the page under Articles & Help"bow selection guide"

The big things to look for are a high brace height and longer axle to axle, these two things will make the bow more forgiving. Just as a warning watch out for the hype, I bought into it a few years ago and got screwed. I am only 5'9" and tried shooting a short 30" ATA bow andcould never get a decent group over 30 yds. The short ATA bow was the"must have" hype at the time I got it,but I have noticed others must have found the same thing since many of the new "musthave" bows are longer ATA again. The "must have" and the "best bow ever"are all relative and change too quickly for any sane person to keep up with. I bought a longer ATA bow with a shorter brace height and still get better group than I ever got with the short ATA bow.
I would beware of the hype and get what you like, it is really personal preference. The best advice is go out and shoot every bow you can get your hands on and get the one that fells best to you.

Your budget will usually narrow the field quite quickly. I had a low budget and two bows I shot that really stood out to me were, The Reflex Buckskin and Diamond Rapture. Both were very reasonably priced and shot great for me.
I just bought my new bow a few months ago on clearance. I have really enjoyed shooting it. The bow and specs are in my signature I lucked out and got a great deal or I would have got the Diamond Rapture.