HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do some take more than they need??
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2002, 01:31 PM
MJL927

Default RE: Do some take more than they need??

This year the NY DEC has changed its tagging system. Right away, a hunter can obtain 5 permits by purchasing a license. Also, land owners (farmers) can apply for more tags on a program called DMAPS. I applied for these permits and received 4 antlerless tags to be used throughout the regular season (could get more if I had more acreage). Also, by sending in my DMAPS info, I was allowed to request crop damage permits. The DEC sent me 5 antlerless tags that I was able to use. The "season" for these tags just ended today (Sept 30). I filled 3 of these tags.

So as you can easily see, I could potentially take 14 deer this year. Now I'm down to 9 since the crop damage season is over. Those 3 deer I took have filled my freezer. If I were to take any more deer, I will first give it to my immediate family and a few friends. Then, any leftover or any more deer will go to Hunter For The Hungry.

As long as the meat is used, I don't think you can take too many. As I see it, there's always going to be hungry mouths to feed somewhere and the deer will still flourish.

-Mike