HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WV Hunters
Thread: WV Hunters
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 AM
hillbillyhunter1
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WV Hunters

I think that many hunters may be a little more conservation minded than what you give them credit for Rem1100, but if the law allows them to take "x" number of deer, then you can't fault them for it. after all, the state most know what's right for the herd, right?

I also think that although Tanzian stated
It must be done on a more localized level and under strict intense management
, which I agree with, he did not mean that the actual management should be turned over to the "locals". I believe he meant that the state should take a look at each individual county (or even parts of a county) on a case by case basis and then institute policies for that specific area based upon the specific needs of that area to insure a healthy herd statewide. While the monitoring of the local herd could be assisted by the game warden thru surveys, # of roadkills, etc, ultimately the responsibility lies at the recommendations made by the state and federal biologists. Even if the regulations become more complicated "you can kill two deer here, one there, and none over there", I think most hunters will be able to understand it. It's not that hard. Read the regs out here (MT).They arecomplicated and lengthy and extremely area specific, but after you fool around w/ them for a while, it's not that bad and it's worth it for the quality of the herds they help foster.

I think that WV just has to take their management to the next level and base it on science and in cooperation with all those that care about the health of the animal populations.

btw--someone mentioned that they want to open gun season in the bow-only counties--surely not- that would be idiotic. Does anyone know anything about this?