HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet/load questions...
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 08:08 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default Bullet/load questions...

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide on a load for my Knight DISC .50, but I have a couple of questions regarding bullet selection.

First I should say that I'm going to be hunting Whitetails at <100 yards. I'd also like to keep the powder charge at 100 grains if possible (Pyrodex pellets), but if necessary I'd go to 150 if the extra velocity would siginificantly improve the terminal performance of the bullet. I've also narrowed down my choices of bullets to either .50cal Powerbelt conical bullets or Precision Rifle sabots in the 300+ grain weight range.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Which brand of bullets tend to give the best accuracy and expansion in a Knight disc?

2.) what is the difference in terminal performance between the hollow point and polymer tipped bullets at velocities typical of 100grain pyrodex charges?

3.) Regarding Powerbelts, is there any significant difference in terminal performance between the lead and jacketed bullets of similar weight?

4.) Are the Cabelas Dead Center and X-Tended Range bullets made by PR, and if so, do they correspond to the PR Dead Center and QT bullets respectively?

I appreciate your suggestions,

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member