HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - couple questions, please help
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: couple questions, please help

It really doesn't matter as long as you do it consistantly. Don't shoot with both eyes open one time and then with one closed the next. It will in most cases affect your impact point. Pick what one you want to use and set your bow up that way.

You should always focus on the target, more importantly on a particular spot of the target. The more refined your aiming, the better your groups will be.

And from reading this and your other post I would say your draw length may have something to do with not shooting consistantly or holding steady. Keep in mind the Wing Span method is only a starting point. It really depends on how the bow fits you in the end. Why did a shop sell you a bow that was too long and then put a string loop on it in the first place? That would be my first question.

If you think you are too long on draw try ditching the loop and even going with a shorter release. Or a hand held thumb release or back tension, they are even shorter yet sometimes. It will not change the actual draw length of the bow, but it will change the way you percieve it and not stretch you out as much at full draw.

Keep in mind this will require you to completely retune your bow and change your anchor points.

Many people shoot very well with an inch too long of a draw. It's the ones that are severly long that cause big problems. Like someone with a 27 or 28 inch draw shooting a 30 inch bow just to gain speed, or because they bought it from wally world or their buddy and didn't know any better.

If you are going to compete I would suggest getting a back tension release and doing lots of blind bail shooting.

Paul