HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - arrow trajectory?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM
dohcrxl

Default RE: arrow trajectory?

ORIGINAL: Bees

its all for not if you don't understand why you must bend at the waist from an elevated position.
There's an outdoor range I go to with a raisedshooting platform that's 12 feet high. I don'tgo through the motion of aiming over my target then bending my waist to get on target. But, I can always group. Are you saying that this motion is necessary to hit my target? If so why? Please forgive the novice inquiry.

Do not just drop your bow arm down to get on target your anchor points will move and no tellin where your arrow may go. you must move your whole upper body as a unit..
I guess just reiteratingand I know it's probably all part of good shooting form but explain how this helps.

you would use your same pins as on the ground.
Ifyou're shooting almost straight down, the gravitational pull that exists when you're shooting on the ground is near inexistent. Why should I still use the same pins?

Let me explain what I'm asking a little more - OK, when you're shooting on the ground and the arrow hits the intendedmark, it is because the pin is set at a certain position. Thatpin positioning is determined by gravity, arrow speed, and arrow weight. While that arrow is in flight for those 20 yards, all those factors effect the point of impact. If you're a good shot, you can hit your target all day long at 20 yards on the ground.

However, as soon as you elevate your shooting position, one or more of those factors change. Your arrow of course stays the same weight. Your arrow speed may increase an immeasurable amount due to the downward shooting angle. That third factor, gravity, changes. Because you're shooting at a downward angle, the arrow isn't flying horizontal to the ground which lessens the gravitational pull. Just like if you threw a baseball down a hill versus across a field. Throwing it horizontally across the field is going to be harder because there's more gravitational pull to overcome, thus you can't throw it as far as down a hill.

-or- am I seeing this all wrong? I'm just thinking about all those times I've gone squirrel hunting and have missedHIGH many times when I've shot downhill.