HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade Herbicide
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Criggster

Default Homemade Herbicide

I mixed-up a solution of the homemade herbicide suggested by Timber Creek. I sprayed some weeds around the house yesterday with it and........................ it WORKS!! Killed a few different species: crabgrass, lesser ragweed, and dandelion. I sprayed the english ivy, but only noticed minimal wilting. It may take a few days to work on that stuff. I will continue testing on other species and report back.

I used 1/2 gallon vinegar, 1/2 cup of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of detergent. It works; although, it isn't a cost effective alternative to glyphosate in bulk quantities. The cheapest vinegarI could find was $1.99 per gallon, not sure of the salt prices(would be cheaper in bulk bags), and dish detergent about $1.50 for the cheap stuff. I bought 2.5 gallons of 41% glyphosate for $65.00; enough to make 100 gallons of 2.5% solution. So, if you used 100 gallons of vinegar it would cost $200.00, plus salt, and detergent cost versus $65.00! However, in smaller quantities, say a gallon, the homemade stuff is cheaper and better for the environment!