HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - August American Rifleman magizane Artical
Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: August American Rifleman magizane Artical

For a moment look at it from the company's perspective. They are probably responding to a lawyer's advice that they are vulnerable to a negligence suite or a charge of not providing a safe workplace in the event an employee goes off the deep end, goes to their truck to retrieve their rifle, and shoots and kills several people in the building. I'm not saying it is fair. I'm not saying that I like it. And I agree that the rule is not going to be very effective in preventing the occurence of the risk the policy is directed at -- any more than gun laws are generally effective at detering criminals from using guns. If you have gone off the deep end, you will just bring your rifle to work and break the rule. Chances of detecting one lone exception to the rule is very low.

Anyway,my guess is you have the lawyers to thank for this one. "If you DON'T make this a policy and enforce it strictly, WHEN this happens you will be liable for HUGE damages when the family of a murdered employee sues you for negligence and operating an unsafe workplace!!!"