HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thompson Center
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 08:49 AM
roundball

Default RE: Thompson Center

Yes, it's a pretty stock...I wanted a good looking Hawken stock with the 1" barrel channel to set up as a flintlock...selling off the percussion lock and barrel.
A .54cal Flintlock stock I currently have is developing atiny hairline crack running with the grain on the left side, just above the lock bolt hole.

Sent it to TC, theyoffered to replace it, but it's an older stock with a longer LOP and looking through what they had in stock,none were as long as this one...so I had them return it...they were nice enough tosupplyme with the new styletang bolt and threaded trigger guard to strengthen that whole area.

I mounted all that, and next, I'll run a long tiny drill bit down through the left side of the stock wood...markit flush,pull it back out, cut it off 1/8" below the mark,coat it withepoxy andsink it back down as a permanent 'pin'.

With the new style tang bolt & guard, plus this steel pin, there'll be no way the stock will be able to flex and that hairline crack should be contained. Plus,the good news is it's a stock that I only use for Flintlock target practice with light 60grn loads, so it'll be fine.....and most importantly stillfit better than a new one.