HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New toy, H&R Ultra Slug
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: New toy, H&R Ultra Slug

Like I said I will try them if I can find them, I don't remember seeing any when looking though. I don't doubt they work, I just liked the idea of using a sabot, same thing with the muzzle loader. It's just a cleaner system is all. Not that you can't shoot lead or copper coated bullets out of a rifled barrel. That's what you do with a centerfire after all.

I think I'm going to go to a few of the discount stores like wally world and Kmart and the such and see what they have. I'm going to try some of the cheaper more standard stuff first to see what works well and at what ranges. Then I might try some of the more expensive high velocity stuff and compare it.

The deer I have shot and seen shot with my ML works, if you put it in the right spot you get a dead deer. However I don't think they perform or expand as well as they should thus not transfering as much energy as they could be. The deer I have field dressed had fairly minimal damage, the bullet just wizzed thru. The results are much like a deer taken with a bow. It runs for a ways and piles up.

However the few deer I have seen shot with a true slug gun seem to be hit much harder. If hit correctly they normally drop where they are or don't very far at all. This interests me since where I hunt it is fenced in. If the deer runs it normally hops the fence and dies on the other side. There is no property issue, I'm allowed to retrieve my deer. It's just not very fun getting it back over the fence if you know what I mean.

The upside to the saboted slugs is they do less damage to meat if you make a less than perfect shot. And if I see a considerable improvement in accuracy with them I will use them any way.

I guess I will just have to play is all. The ones you suggested are at the top of my list though. Especially since my funds are limited. I would really rather be spending my money on new arrows that would last me much longer.

Paul