HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nocks too tight ???
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nocks too tight ???

I tend to disagree, Rob. Nocks can be too tight. Stuffing a fat string in a skinny nock slot can cause the nock to break on release and cause a dry fire. Even if it doesn't break, the nock won't come off the string as clean as it should, causing potential loss of accuracy and some arrow speed.

A bit of snap is okay, even mandatory for a release shooter. But anything where it's noticeable you're having to use an abnormal amount of force to push the nock onto the string or pull it back off, that's too tight.

For fingers shooters, the nock should be tight enough so the arrow will hang from the string, but it should be loose enough that it will fall off when you thump the string with your finger. I like them to have a bit more snap than that for a release, but not much.

If I get nocks that are too tight, I'll replace them with nocks that fit the string, replace the serving with a thinner diameter serving thread or take an emory board and open the nocks up a bit. The old style glue on nocks, you could heat them upby holding them in a pan of boiling water for a few seconds, then pop them on and off the string a few times to open them up. That won't work with most of the new nocks.