HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Bench Rest for under $150?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 07:13 PM
jcchartboy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Bench Rest for under $150?

As CMA said...EASY....Protektor front (#1) and rear bags(#13), and a Caldwell BR (Benchrest) Competition front rest. Buy the Caldwell from Midsouth they have them priced below everyone else.

http://www.protektormodel.com/

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00094440907

This rifle rest recently became available at a great price. MidwayUSA and Midsouth Shooters Supply must have gotten into a price war with this item. They're both selling it about $50 below the manufacturers suggested price. I got one for $112 from Midsouth Shooters Supply. That's one heck of a bargain, because this rifle rest is comparable to units that normally sell in the $300 price range. For shooters that don't shoot benchrest competition, this particular rifle rest allows you to quickly make adjustments to the position your rifle - exactly where you want it. This rig makes it a whole lot easier to shoot tight groups, and testing your handloads is a real pleasure.

To start off with, this rifle rest is made in the USA. It's called the "Caldwell Rock BR Competition Front Shooting Rest," and it has all the features that you would expect from a quality bench-rest rig. It has coarse and fine elevation adjustments (from 5" to 9-1/4") with a finger-tip windage adjustment. This shooting platform is incredibly solid, and it supports a cradle that swivels on ball bearings. Its cast iron base is shaped like a slingshot, and it is 15" long.

This rifle rest has a bubble level, stainless steel leveling feet, adjustable forend stop and bag tensioning adjustment. At 15-1/2 pounds, this rifle rest gives you great stability. It's the ideal size for most benchrest shooting. The rest includes a 3" Lobe Bag and accepts all Caldwell Deluxe Front Rest Bags as well as the popular Protektor Bags. I'm not crazy about the original front bag, so I replaced mine with the Protektor Bag. This upgrade was a big improvement. This is an excellent rifle rest that most rifle shooters should own.