HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When Turkeys Are Bumped ?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 11:37 AM
JNTURK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When Turkeys Are Bumped ?

Good question. I can speak for the eastern birds i hunt on public land in CA. I have bumped them from the roost. This last spring i found where they were roosting and patterned there movements. I came back 3 days later for the opener and one of the jakes had roosted closer to my set up, (within 15 yards) it was still very dark and i was very quiet, (there were three hunters that morning) the bird clucked and i think what saved me is i acted like a deer. i stopped and stood stile for about 2 minutes, he clucked again and i took my boot and tapped the ground like a deer would do. we waited another 3 minutes and then set up, still within 15 yards. that bird ended up flying down to the decoy, however my brother missed with a bow at 25 yards. Will they come back, maybe....the turkeys i have killed with a shotgun typically don't come back to the roost that season, but the next year...they have been in the same roost every spring for four years now....granite there is not a lot of pressure on them besides myself and two other hunters i have seen in the woods. So if the pressure is low..they will come back..if the pressure is high, i would have to say no, and they probably won't roost in the same spot the next year..hope that helps