HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you clean the shotgun barrel properly.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you clean the shotgun barrel properly.

Whoa! Let's STOP right there fellas. This has gotten off in a TERRIBLE direction. You will all be getting writng assignments at the end of class.

FIRST! MAKE SURE THE FIREARM IS COMPLETELY UNLOADED!
NO SHELL IN THE CHAMBER. NO SHELL IN MAGAZINE!

Prepare an area which is well ventilated to do your cleaning and that is protected from the chemicals you will be using. I once learned that the dining room table covered with newspaper, IS NOT an acceptable area even with the windows open. My wife informed me of this one day when she was taking her frying pan for its daily walk thru the and happened by.

Put on your safety glasses, protective gown , gloves, SCBA and foot coverings. No smoking.

Then................you can clean it.

I always run a dry patch thru a couple times removing loose stuff. Then I run a well saturated patch thru to completely wet the bore and let it emulsify the residues for awhile. Then I run a dry patch thru a couple times. Re-saturate and take the brush to it about 10-15 times. Run another wet patch thru. Then dry patch till patches are clean. If I shot alot I may have to re-saturate/soak and brush. After patches are clean, I put my secret substance in the bore and on a patch, and spread it nice and lightly throughout the bore.

With rifles and slug guns I highly recommend putting a round thru before hunting as oil used to protect the bore can make the first one a "flyer".

Now, remember! SAFETY IS FIRST!

I want 5 pages, front and back, first thing tomorrow morning of SAFETY FIRST in bold capital letters.