HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats your fastest hunt?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 AM
NorthernHunter

Default RE: Whats your fastest hunt?

I've had similar luck, but not that often. Back in 1999 I took to my stand at about 5:30AM, waited until 30 minutes before sun-up, looked about, in walks a herd of about 7-10 does. They all get within 20 yards of me and I shot two (shotgun and we're allowed to take 2 at a time). I dressed both, hauled them to my truck, checked them in, got my buck tag, hung them back at my house 20 minutes away, told the wife I'm going back out, enjoyed another 8 hours in the stand and dropped another doe which I gave to my friend who saw nothing all day yet was about 500 yards from me. That was shotgun.

Last year on opening day of bow season, I climbed into my stand and within 5 minutes of being all set I hear a deer coming my way. Louder and louder it gets. I'm shaking and right underneath me 10 feet below is a large deer...7 pointer, but awesome body size. I probably could have jumped on him Rambo style, but had to let him walk as I needed a doe first. Most of my deer in bow season have been late in the day and always after 1-2 hours of being on stand.