HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the Difference?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 03:00 PM
MLKeith
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the Difference?

I think this got covered but just to be sure here goes: When they decided to make 777 in pellet form they held back on the amount of energy in the pellets to more closely compare with Pyrodex pellets so someone would not load three 50gr. equivalent 777 pellets where they had been using three 50gr. equivalent Pyrodex pellets and blow something up. So 100gr. equivalent 777 pellets do not have the same energy as 100gr. equivalent 777loose powder and as such would not weigh the same even if the weights were accurate for those two forms of the same powder. I agree that weighed powder can be used in muzzleloaders and as a reloader I tend to weigh my charges but they are weighed according to a standard which was established with a measured by volume base check of several volume measurements and then averaged for weight. Measure by volume is the correct method and weighing is only a secondary method and the weight mustbe established by a valuefound by volume measurement. Smokeless powder is measured by weight and muzzleloader powder is measured by volume these are not the same type of powder and do not have anything in common other than the ability to move a projectile up the barrel.