HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting buddies Needed - First post
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Bud Light
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting buddies Needed - First post

Being a Marine myself, I still get a stiffy when it comes to automatic weapons. Got some nice armament at the house but nothing fully auto for I live in IL. I am 33 with a son of 7. Same as you but 4 years earlier. My little guy likes to run the duck and goose calls while we smoke them. I have hunted all my life so am in a different boat than you. Your best bet is to start with the squirrels then move up. Locate all the public land in your area through your DNR. Learn it all and what is there. You can read all you want but nothing comes close to just getting out there and hunting something. Experience is your best teacher. Just go all you can. The little guy will aquire a lifetime of memories in just a few short years. If you haven't the knack for it, he will shortly if you just take him out. You have been trained with all the skills you need for hunting. Now you just need to learn the enemy. Everything has to eat. Everything has to drink. Everything has to sleep. Start with that in mind then you will learn some of their "wants" and other tendencies as you progress. Your boy will learn everything as you do but will still think you the man. He is not going to judge you for he has nothing to compare to. If we were nearer you, we would certainly help you out. And don't forget fishing. Tis the only other sport in the summer except coyote and ground hog. Speaking of hogs, you are in one of the best areas of the country to thump some pigs. 50 cal will cut them down very nicely.