HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 270...elk cartridge?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 08:42 AM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: 270...elk cartridge?

Again,
Gotta love simplistic "facts" and 100% "blanket statements."

None of these items are"finding the game"nor stalking nor "getting into position"issues, they are cartridge restriction issues, and glaringly absent from the so called "facts" as presented.....

** No mention of bullet weight (go heavy for caliber)
** No mention of range limitation (great long range deer gun (270)ain't a great long range elk gun).
** No mention of shot angle/penetration limitations (no shoulders, no rakes, maybe no head on's)
** No mention of skeletal structure avoidance issues (best if perfect broadsides only, avoid the shoulder).

Nope, these possibly "foriegn-issues-to-the-newbie"werejust swept under the carpet of the "100% simplistic facts and blanket statement" talk.....

So Johnny Greenhorn reads our fine thread here and thenloads up and heads for the elk hills based on the lovely, simplistic "facts" as given, actually finds his elk on the last day of the seasonand bears down on him using the same assumptions/experiencesthat have always served him so well when killing southern whitetail withhis 270 all these years (when the situation he ran intowas really ashot-set up on a bull elkthat wouldbe better handleda "bigger stick")and poor Johnny ends up headingback home empty handed and broken hearted and half sick at loosing him wondering.....
"What was the rest of the story someone didn't tell me?" "Why did my "do-it-all-back-home 270 fail me?" "While itwas not my absolute favorite shot setup, I've busted plenty of deer with that shot and I hit him right where I aimed....why, why, why.... damn Internet anyway"

Yep, thet thar simplistic and 100% "got it covered" route is a right fine way ta go after dem elk.