HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do I need to adjust my tiller?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 06:46 PM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do I need to adjust my tiller?

You could have two limbs absolutely perfectly matched to each other and still wind up with an unbalanced situation.

Consider your hand position on the grip and where you feel the most pressure when you draw. Do you get a lot of the heel of your hand into the grip, get even pressure across the palm or do you get most of the pressure up near the top of the grip?

Most bows do not have the pressure point of the grip exactly halfway between the limb pockets. It's a bit below center, which causes the bottom limb to react stronger than the top limb. If you're feeling a lot of pressure on the heel of your hand, then you're making that bottom limb react even stronger.

If you adjust the dynamic tiller properly, you'll feel the pressure more evenly across the hand instead of on the heel of the hand or up on the web of the thumb. That's what you want on a bow that's designed to be shot low wrist, like most all of them are today.

Bows are designed with the grip placed differently in relation to the limb pockets. Some are closer to center, others quite a bit below center so they can center the arrow in the bow. Then, hardly anyone is going to grip a bow exactly like anyone else does. There is no one tiller setting that is perfect for every bow and every shooter. That's why setting the static tiller dead even is simply a starting point.