HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - South Dakota Bound?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 12:00 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: South Dakota Bound?

Your opportunities are going to be limited in South Dakota. drgildy is right on. I have come to learn that our idea of a city in SD is much different than most people's. Rapid City has an airport and population of about 60,000, second biggest city in the state. Great area for hunting and fly fishing for trout, a ton of public land, the Black Hills, you can hunt whitetail and mule deer, elk, antelope, and turkey. Plenty of restaraunts, it is expensive to fly in and out of though. Sioux Falls is the biggest city in the state, about 140,000. Great outdoor activities there as well, good bass and walleye fishing, whitetail deer, turkey and pheasant hunting. The airport is a little cheaper than Rapid and it isn't nearly as isolated. Not nearly as scenic either. You may look into Yankton, it is 65 miles south of Sioux Falls and 90 miles north of Omaha, NE. Population about 20,000. One of the nicest places in the state. Right on the missouri river, great walley fishing, beautiful clean lake and the best whitetail and turkey hunting in the state. Pheasants aren't too bad either. Quite a bit of public ground and if you knock on doors you can get permission on private ground. Aberdeen, not bad but isolated and one of the coldest places on the face of the earth. I lived in that area for a couple of years and the winters are bad as well as not much to offer in that part of the state, IMO. Hope this helps, any more questions let me know.