HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - gator hunt
Thread: gator hunt
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 09:15 AM
bigboar23

Default RE: gator hunt

I'll be going again this year. All I can say for tips is EQUIPTMENT,EQUIPTMENT, EQUIPTMENT. Make sure you have that AMS slotted retreiver reel with the attachable float. It's a litlle costly, but more than worth it's weight in gold. I tried using older bowfishing gear last year and I have never been so frustrated on a hunt.There were gators just waiting to be shot again and I was winding up string by hand.Tip 2 Don't shine your headlamp directly at them until you are ready to shoot. Aim it off to the side a little(just enough to see the reflection of the eye). If not, they will submerge before you get into bow range.I sell a hog hunting light for bows that attaches to the stabilizer hole. It was designed to hunt hogs at night under feeders, but evryone is using them for bowfishing now. They have a red and a blue filter as well. Less intrusive to the gators eye. It is trigger activated as well so you can wait till the last minute to turn it on. We will be using those this year.Tip 3 Make sure the boat you are on has a trolling motor so you can sneak in close quietly. Good luck and if you want to check out the light, just use the link below.