HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??
Old 07-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best way to finish off a deer w/knife??

WTF??????????
No firearm or bow to finish off a kill after light???????
Glad I don't live there.......I'd fight that one in Leg pretty hard..
I'm sure we have that law hear in B.C. No shooting after dusk and before dawn....But under the circumstances charges probably would not be laid...Because it is the hunters responsibility that every possible effort to retrieve a wounded animal must be attempted and performed...It isn't that hard to prove to an officer or the courts that you tracked and finished off an animal in the dark you wounded earlier that day...
Blood trails and bullet entry and exit wounds and shot placement
are all pretty obvious...They may take the animal away and make it state property but I can't see anybody getting into a heap load of trouble......
Best advise I can give is be sure of your shot..If ya happen to wound an animal camp out.... wait till morning and use your tracking skills along with your dog to find it.....Hopefully the animal will have expired over the course of the night....
If ya happen to jump it alive at least you have another chance to finish it off quickly...Without further suffering to the game and possible injury to yourself......