HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slugs
Thread: Slugs
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Crowpecker
Spike

Default RE: Slugs

No need to get off the Lightfields. All of the above are correct. I also have an 11-87 with cantilevered scope and I can consistently group 3 shots in a half-dollar size circle at 100 yds. They are devasting rounds on whitetails too.

On a side note, I can testify fully to how far they travel and how much shocking power they have. I had a most unfortunate incident last year on opening day of the gun deer season in Steuben County, NY. I was just getting out of my tree stand to go get my deer and as soon as I touched the ground and stepped to the left of the tree, I got shot in the back with a 12 gauge Lightfield slug. It went through my heavy coat and orange vest and knocked me on my face. It hit a 1/4" to the right of my spine and just missed my right lung. The slug is still in me and they can't take it out. I weigh 270 lbs and if I was a light person, I wouldn't be here right now. Upon investigation by the state police and DEC, it was determined that the shot came from my brother in law's stand which was almost 200 yds away!! He was shooting at deer the same time and one shot that missed his deer made it's way through all those trees, up over a small hill and down to me!!! Freak accident is all it was as we never could see each other even when we were both in our tree stands. I've hunted over 30 yrs without ever having an accident and then this had to happen. I want to add that we always hunted safe and wear blaze orange and did all the right things, but still an accident happened. I don't know if I'll ever hunt again, but I just wanted to tell you guys that those sabot slugs travel FAR !! The DEC and state police measured 180 yds, so be careful with those slugs. They're not like the old pumpkin balls that drop to the ground at almost 100 yds.

Good hunting and be safe you guys!!