HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - pellets vs. loose powder?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 06:39 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: pellets vs. loose powder?

ORIGINAL: NVMIKE

I'm pretty new to this M.L. thing in particular , but not shooting in general. I was wondering if you get a more consistent charge w/ pellets(factory measure)or w/ loose powder(your own measure)? Does consistency vary from manf. to manf? Is one brand of pellets more likely to be off than any of the others?As consistency means accuracy, this would be pretty vital to hunting. Also I heard that there is a new powder out that smokes less and you can shoot hundreds of shots between cleaning. I think Jim Shockey was useing it. Any truth to this? If so what are your personal experiences w/ it as accuracy goes? By the way for any who have followed my progress w/ the M.L. lately, I hit a gallon jug of water w/ one shot at 200yds w/ my new winchester X-150 today. My son can already hit at 100yds, looks good for his elk hunt in OCT.
Jim Shockey is a paid endorser... never forget that fact. I am not saying that he does not believe in what he is emdprsing, but he hunts (or used to) with a rifle with KNIGHT plastered on the stock, and always makes sure and tells about his favorite brand of POWDER (which I think bares his name now). You don't suspect that he is going to get up there and tell the entire black powder community that the powder he uses is a bunch of junk and he sure wishes he had a new Optima.. At least not until the contracts with the other companiesare filled and the checks get bigger. I always take the advise of these people with a grain of salt. Although he does use a GREAT rifle. I never shot the powder he talks about.

As for pellet consistency, I have heard some real horror stories about the American Pioneer Powder sticks. It seems some of them come out of the bottle with chunks missing off them. Well to me that means they do not weigh the same. Isn't that the reason people go to the pellets in the first place, so the do not have to worry about weighing their powder? I guess if I insisted I use pellets it would be the Triple Se7en brand. After all, if I am going to spend that kind of money, I might as well have the best.

Also I will go on record here. I am not a pellet shooter. I fired approximately three rounds of pellet/projectile combination in my life, and that was because someone else was buying the pellets. I do not need someone to weigh my charge. I would rather do it myself and then I know it is done right. I do not have to worry if the weight if the pellets are equal today. I think I can tune a rifle as good or better with loose powder then pellets. And I have no reason to pay the outrageous price they want for pellets. With the amount I shoot I would be in serious trouble...

Over the years of shooting loose powder I have convinced myself and others that loose powder will produce exceptional accuracy, consistency, and is far more cost effective. When I hunt I carry five plastic 35mm film canisters. In each of the canisters is a pre measured (by volume with a powder measure) charge for the projectile/rifle combinationI am using. Should I need a second shot, the powder charge is an easypop the plastic water tight lid and pour into the muzzle reach away.