HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What all do you do?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 AM
shed33
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What all do you do?

January 1through the end of March I doa lot of post season scouting and shed hunt for whitetail antlers. This is when I pick new areas I want to observe later in the summer for pre-season scouting and videoing. 99% of my whitetail, elk, bear and turkey hunting spots all come from shed hunting new areas and liking what I find for habitat and sign then going back.

April through May, I shed hunt for elk/deer, bear hunt and turkey hunt and start glassing and scouting for bucks. Memorial day weekend we go sturgeon/bass fishing.

June through August 29th, Pretty much every evening about 80 plusevenings a summer glassing and videoing bucks in 5 different areas spreading over 4 counties, setting stands takes about 5 days and I usually set my stands on weekends during the summer sinceI am logging during the week, I save my summer evenings for observing, many stands are already set and stay where they are. I doa lot more glassing than videoing, I try to pick my times to set up and shoot good video once I get a buck consistently showing himself in a specific area.

August 30th through Sept 30th, Bowhunt whitetails every day the first 2 weeks then start hunting elk as well the rest of the month. I can hunt every day the first 7 days before I go back to teaching. Then hunt after work during the week and on the weekends the rest of the seasons.

October 1-9, no hunting season, so I prepare for October 10th-31st re-opener for whitetails and elk. Try to slip in a sturgeon trip that first week of Oct.

November 1 -Dec 1, whitetails only....... I am oblivious to all other critters in November.

December 10th-23rd Late seasonWhitetail and Elk archery again.

Take a week off for Christmas then start shed hunting and scouting again... fun fun fun, the snow reads like a book.