HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NYS Doe Permit Odds
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
WNY Bowhunter
Fork Horn

Default RE: NYS Doe Permit Odds

Those numbers are pretty interesting...they really seem to be cutting back in Region's 8 and 9 which arethe state's 2 most productive areas. I hunt 8P / 8R and it appears that they're cutting back pretty good...8P is only Mediumwith no chance of #2and 8R is High for the first but I don't see it listed for #2.This could be the first time since I started deer hunting at age 16 that I didn't get both DMP permits. I wonder if they're still gonna give us a statewide archery doe tags or if you can still transfer over DMP's? I agree that the deer pop. is down a bit in my area from where it was 4 or 5 years ago and I really don't think that I've seen as many does in the last couple of years as I used to but there are still plenty of deer around. I guess alot of people in the area just tend to associate good deer hunting with the vast overpopulation of does that we've had for years. From what I hear, they're still giving nuisance permits out like candy again this year. If the herd is in need of rebounding throughout the state, then how come the DEC is justifying the southern zone rifle bill by saying that the deer pop. in outta control? I firmly believe that the main problem, in my area anyways, is not so much that the deer pop. is in bad shape, rather is the ever increasing lack of access to hunting land thats a problem.