HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - About Smokeless Muzzleloading
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 02:46 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: About Smokeless Muzzleloading

First off... no, I've never met Doc White. Lets face it, I don't hang around in the same circles as he does, or you do. I also don't get to the same rendezvous that he attends so the opportunity to meet Doc White never presented itself. Personally I would really enjoy sitting down and chatting with him. I am sure he is a wealth of information on black powder shooting and has lots of good stories to tell which I would find most interesting.

The next point I want to address is, I am not knocking the Savage Smokeless Powder Rifle. If people want to shoot them.. fine with me. Why should I even care what you or anyone else shoot. I am more then satisfied with the Black Powder rifle collection I own and shoot.

The original discussion centered around my asking in regard to your original quote, was Doc White now advocating the use of smokeless powder for muzzleloading rifles. I can't read his words becauseI do not own his book. And to be real honest I have no intention of buying it at this time.I also have not readthe interviewwhich you conducted with him. So again, I have no idea whether you discussed smokeless muzzleloaders or what. Whether or not he endorses smokeless powder is no concern to me in all honesty. I personally don't care if he does, you do, or the neighbornext door does. Everyone has their own opinion and can shoot what they want with what propellant they want. I guess we agree on that point.

Your reply to my inquiry about your quoted commentwas to tell me that smokeless powder was what he used to hunt with in Africa and then your link directed me to his web site. I went to the sight and read the adventures about Randy Smith and Doc White's hunt in Africa. I also noted Doc's comments about the use of smokeless powder Would you not agree that reading those comments at the sight you directed me to, would tend to make a person believe that he might not feel the use of smokeless powder was the right choice for the average hunter?

(Doc refers tohimself)remain tongue-in-cheek about its general use for the average hunter
(Doc again)found myself double checking with the ramrod to make sure the load column was correct several times a day. Obviously I was nervous about it.
I also have been experimenting with smokeless powder in the ThunderBolt, but have remained unconvinced that it was safe for general use in the field, where things can get decidedly exciting and/or confusing at times.
Those comments suggest to me that Doc White, a recognized pioneer and expert in the field according to you and others, might not be advocating the use of smokeless powder for the average hunter at this point. I am sure the Savage Muzzleloader which you recommend to all is a great rifle. It's just not the rifle for me.There are some things about the Savage that makes them less interesting to me, were I to purchase another inline rifle.I am satisfied with what rifles I have and the kind of powder I shoot. I am not knocking the one you endorse. Although if I were to buy a new inline it would be a White Super 91 or a T/C Omega. Although I have a few reservations about the White Super 91. Not based on the quality of the rifle but the quality of the parent company.