HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nature-deficit disorder explored
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 09:54 AM
NorthernHunter

Default RE: Nature-deficit disorder explored

So true! I have a 6 and a 2 year old, both boys. I was/am an outdoorsman and so will they be outdoorsman. I was into sports, played football and hockey and baseball in high school and football in college and men's softball now...but hunting is my passion and my boys will follow-suit. My Dad introduced me to the outdoors as a kid and already my 6 year old and I go on hikes all the time.

In fact, I hunt a special area about 10 miles from home. Each fall I take a few quality deer from that area. When we get a cold snap and decent snowfall, I take my kid, his plastic sled and we head to my hunting grounds. All bundled up, he sits in the sled and I drag him thru the woods. My purpose is twofold. First, to get him outside in the winter and get fresh air and teach him a few things like picking up deer tracks in the snow, etc. Second, it provides me with info on where the deer travel to and from so it's more useful info for my next season. Even just down the road we go hiking looking for turkeys, deer, turtles. It's fun and my son enjoys it very much.

Too many parents push their kids too hard with playing soccer, travel team soccer, county soccer, etc. I think that is too much. I let my son pick what he's interested in doing and he does it. In fact, we've had neighbors tell us that they see my son outside playing by himslef a lot and they notice how well he plays just by himself. He doesn't nee dplay-dates, etc. He just makes up his own game and plays and plays...OUTSIDE!