HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 vs. 30-30
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Georgian

Default RE: .243 vs. 30-30

Well, for personal protection, hunting bear, close range deer hunting I would take a .30/30 any day. For shots 150 yards and on I would use my .243 . Killed a dear lastseason with a .243, so I know whatit is capable of. But most people forget that shot placement is also critical, no matter what game you hunt. Now the.30/30 and .243 have both been around long before my time, I use and respect both, and both have their places. Personally,if I did have to choose one of em tho, I'd say .30/30. There aint no way I'm gonna make a 200+ shot, nvr tried it on paper, and dont have the range to try it at, so I'm a short range hunter. I just dont feel I couldhit something at that range,plain and simple.I just dont understand how back in the 1800's mountain men with single shot muzzleloaders could down grizzlys, moose, elk, deer,buffaloetc. left and right, then here we come along with .30/30s moving bullets around 2000 fpsand say we dont have enough power to down the same game. Oh well, I guess thats just the way it is. Also, I hope noone took offense, and I am trully sorry for any upheaval I may have caused or any toes that may have been stepped on. I just had to put in my .02 cents, thanks and God Bless!