HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What powder for 7mm Rem mag - thoughts?
Old 07-07-2005, 04:49 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What powder for 7mm Rem mag

Well I have hit the range a few times found the 150gr NP with 63 or 64 gr 4831, did quite nicely. I also tried some Barnes TSX 140gr/BT behind 65 to 69 grains of RL 22, last evening. In the case of the Barnes TSX the 69gr loadproduced the best groups of the bunch all driving 1" or better 3 shot groups. However I experienceda sticky bolt, meanwhile the cases showed no real pressure concerns. Didn't matter which load the first was somewhat tight, 2nd was increased and the following were real tight to almost excessive.It was warm 80 degrees range, so I am sure that may contribute some but the others I was shooting with didn't experience a problem. Needless to say the gun went to my smith this morning for a polish and once over. He checked my brass and agreed I was ok, but thought possible the barnes were part of the trouble. Any thoughts?

I tried .020 - .050 seating depth, neither made a difference to function of the bolt. However the .020 off the lands produced the best groups in all the loads I tried.

BTW, my scale is verified/caliberated, my gun was clean as usual..seemed everything was normal other than spent cases didn't want to eject!