HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Encore vs CVA Optima
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 05:04 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Encore vs CVA Optima

Both the Encore and the Optima are good shooting rifles. The difference is in a number of things. First there is the issue of quality of steel. Encore of course being American steel and rated one of the best rifles on the market. The Optima having a Spanish made steel barrel. The BPI barrels have had some serious issues against them but I personally have nothing against them and would shoot them in a heartbeat. If the barrel pressure testing issues are of no concern to you then this is a mute point.

The warranty of the Thompson Center is second to none. You have a problem and they almost always have an answer or solution to the problem. I have heard good things about CVA and the manner in which they back their products up. Still in ten years, who's warranty would you trust the most?

I personally do not like the Encore. I have no need for a rifle that will change out barrels to modern centerfire barrels. I would pick the Omega over the Encore any day. Beside I like the looks of the Omega compared to the Encore. Also the fit of the Omega was excellent. I really liked the balance of the Omega.

I have handled the Optima and felt it was a nice fitting rifle. I will admit that when I pulled to to my shoulder it did not line up to my point of sight like the Omega but I think with a little practice that would all come about. They are not as "finished" as some of the Thompson Center rifles I have looked at but then you have to ask yourself is this worth the $300.00 difference in price.

Last thing to consider is the resale value of the rifle. Here the Thompson Center is heads above the CVA. Not just because it costed more in the first place. It is a trusted name and used rifles and people are more inclined to purchase a used Encore over a used Optima. Personally I have a hard time selling any of my rifles...

If changing out the barrels is not an important factor. If a more custom finish is not all that necessary. If warranty is not important to you. If resale value of the rifle means nothing. Then I think the Optima would do you just fine. As for which one would shoot a variety of different projectiles better, well I'd have to have the companies each give me one and I would test that out for them. Until then, I shoot a Black Diamond XR or a Wolverine II. I also have a Staghorn made by CVA which is an exceptional shooter with the right projectile. As stated, many of the inline shooters would think there is no comparison between the two rifles, but then I have not shot the Encore or Optima... I am sure they would both do a good job.

For an Optima owner.. are the Optima's allowed to shoot 150 grains of loose powder and any size projectile? I ask this because my CVA Staghorn Magnum is allowed only 150 grains of pellets and then the projectiles are limited to 300 grain in sabots (I think) and 400 grain in conicals. In the loose powder department they suggest only 100 grains of loose powder in my Staghorn (again with the projectile restrictions). This would technically mean that 85 grain of Triple Se7en would be a max load in loose form although it is my understanding that CVA was called by a poster, and they have no problem with a 100 grain charge of the loose T-7. Actually this is not all that serious since I do not shoot 150 grain loads or pellets. I do shoot 120 grains of loose powder in my Black Diamond for one projectile though. Would that be allowed for a 300 grain Shockwave in the Omega with 120 grains of loose powder?