HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Far Would you shoot at An Animal?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Far Would you shoot at An Animal?

It all depends. Up until last year I never shot over 30 yards. Last year I had a doe standing at 42 paces (I guessed 40) with her head down eating acorns, completely unaware of anything and very calm. I took her through both lungs and hit her exactly where I wanted to and she fell less than 50 yards from where she was hit. If I was in an open field, had known yardage, and was shooting at a relaxed deer that was feeding with it's head down I would be tempted to shoot out to 50 yards, but that is only because I practice 99% of the time at that distance. I only shoot 20, 30, and 40 to make sure the pins are on and while shooting 3D. My 50 yards groups can be pulled all at the same time with one hand at least half the time, and are 99% of the time 4" or smaller at that distance. I only miss the spot on a morrell bag maybe 1 out of every 10-15 shots and it's usually pretty(curse word edited out)close when not in the spot.

I would say unless under perfect conditions as described above, I would keep shots under 35 yards, however under the rare "perfect conditions" I would shoot out to 50.