HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black Mag 3 and Buffalo sabot 225 grain
Old 06-27-2005, 03:21 PM
newhunter35

Default Black Mag 3 and Buffalo sabot 225 grain

Went shooting this weekend for only a few hours. Sighted in my new scope, bushnell banner 1-4x32, with my last 5 and final rounds of powerbelt 295 AT.

Sighted in the gun, CVA Buckhorn .50, at about 4" high. Using 100 grains of BM3 with the buffalo 225 g. sabot I was hitting about 3" low @100 yards, but I had a great group of three at the bottom of a 10" target. I could touch all holes with a quarter. Luck probably, but I decided raise my POI by 8 clicks up. 1 click = 1/4" which resulted in about 2-3" high from dead center. I was tired, and it was 92 degrees with no shade. Gun was really hot, but clean.

My method was to swab out the barrel with a wet followed by two dry. That worked great and my number 1 concern was getting a flash. Talk about the barrel being hot. Black Mag 3 is by far the cleanest powder I have tried. Took me over 24 hours to get to cleaning my CVA and the breach plug and the barrel was simply amazing. I was done with the barrel in about 6 patches before I was done. The plug was very easy to get clean.

Now all I need to do is get the precision bullets sighted in for the omega. This is going to take a while and I'm almost thru with the first container of BM3. I have one left, but may have to break down and buy another two jugs.

Paul