HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Zrex best deer round .243
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 01:27 AM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Zrex best deer round .243

I was looking around at Cabelas one day and saw a slip-on recoil pad called The Shooter Friend. Its a super soft and pretty thick but on the outside on the butt end its about three inches wide. Its also slightly concaved on the inside and leaves a little space between the steel but plate of the rifle and the inside of the pad. This thing really works. They claim it takes away 70 percent of the felt recoil. I believe it does. I also wear the Past Magnum recoil shield on the shoulder. I also make sure I have a good heavy padded shirt on. This might sound extreme but I am shooting 500 grain cast RN bullets from the Buffalo Classic. The rifle only weights eight lbs. Right now I am shooting Black Powder. Goex 2F. As much as I can get in the case. Trying for 70 grains. Not easy as this rifle has a short throat and I have to seat the 500 grainers pretty deep. I am also working with some smokless loads with 5744 powder. I am getting about 1300 fps from the 500 grainers with black powder. About the same load that nearly wiped out the buffalo herds.