HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting Closer
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 11:35 AM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: Getting Closer

Rebel,

Yep, I use the 2.5 -8 almost exclusively (only exception being varmint guns). Interestingly it rarely comes off of 2.5 except at the range. Now, I'm not saying that you should. Thats a personal thing for certain. Go with what you feel comfortable with. If you are used to a 3 -9 I wouldn't haveany hesitation using it. Its important in my eyes that I'm so used to the equipment that it is almost like second nature.

Listen, I hear folks say that they need higher powered scopes to make longer shots all the time. If You're talking Prairie dogs or much longer ranges then I agree. Under realistic hunting situation I say bunk. My father has always hunted with a 1.5 x 5 leupold. Its an odd looking dude. Yet, he still impresses me with some of the shots he is able to make with it. I think you are more likely to have problems aquiring your target with a higher power scope than you are to be under scoped with a 3-9 or 2.5-8. If you do buy the 4-14 by all means set it on the lower setting when hunting. If your target is far away you have time to dial up, but if its up close you rarely have time to dial down.

What outfitter did you settle on? If you used Atcheson I'm convinced that you are in good hands. Just curious if I know them.