HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - utah hunters?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 05:25 PM
HuntElk4Fun

Default RE: utah hunters?

I live in North Ogden, Utah. About 30 miles north of Salt Lake City. Utah has awesome hunting, but mostly for draw permits. General seasons are limited on land vs limited entry permits. You can still find animals, but compared to neighboring states, limited entry is the way to go.

Primary animals are Elk and Mule Deer throughout the state. Some limited Antelope, Moose, Big Horn and Turkey hunts also exist. Black Bear and Mtn. Lion are also 2 very good hunts, but again kinda limited. No Grizzlies in Utah.

I live here and still leave to Idaho and Wyoming to chase big game animals. I put in for my Utah points and hunt the general areas, but it's frustrating compared to neighboring states.

Where the property is compared to the hunting unit is everything. It might be on a prime hunting unit, but might take 10-15 years to get enough points to draw it. Our family cabin sits in one of the best units for Elk in all of the West. We are talking 350-400 class bulls and we have endless pictures and video. Can we hunt them?? Sure.. when we eventually draw or die first!