HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Differences in commercial brass?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 10:10 AM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default Differences in commercial brass?

Hey all,

When I go to the range, it is like payday. I have come across about 250 rounds of .223 brass, 100 of 38 Special, and countless 9mm Luger. Just this spring! You can also throw into the bunch some .30-06, .270, and .243. I collect every piece of brass I can find out there. With the .223, I have separated all of the military brass from all of the commercial brass.

My question is - Is it REALLY necessary to separate between commercially manufactured brass for SAFETY reasons?? I am sure that the accuracy will not be the same as using one brand of brass all the time, but for 200 yard shots out of my single shot H&R at jacks, there isn't a whole lot that is really NEEDED as far as accuracy is concerned. But, will I see a DANGEROUS pressure jump by throwing in the same charge as my Winchester brass? So far, I have seen Federal, Winchester, and a few PMC and RP.

The reason I ask this, is I have come across reman pistol brass with multiple headstamps in the same bag, and I have loaded my .45 ACP in mixed brass with no noticable pressure signs from one piece to another.

Thanks.