HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6.5x55 vs. 7x57
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Virginia7

Default RE: 6.5x55 vs. 7x57

Hey folks, some really good stuff here. I really appreciate all the feedback, and suggestions. Not sure where I'll end up on these two. As some have noted, it will probably come down to picking the rifle first, then the cartridge.
A friend of mine just got one of the new Ruger Frontier models in 300WSM. He loves that stuff - the bigger the better. He reminds of the the "tool man" on the TV show, Home Improvement - always looking for more power He just loves magnum cartridges.
Now me, as I've gotten older I find myself looking at the older cartridges such as these two (6.5x55 and 7x57), and even such as the 270 (of which I have one). Sort of like looking at the "oldies but goodies" I've got a 358Win. for bigger stuff if I need it, and boy does it sure lay a deer flat in a hurry. Kind of looking for something mild now, but still very effective.
Figure if I ever need a big & nasty again, I'll get a 375H&H. Small bore magnums don't interest me much anymore (7mm, 30 & 33cals. mags).
I like the idea of the Ruger #1. Maybe that little RSI in 7x57. Hmmm.
But, I still like that new Win. Classic Featherweight stainless too.

Oh well. Don't ya' love it - all the choices the gun companies give us these days.
Let's see, where's that Lotto ticket?
Thanks again for all the responses.