HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Urban Archery Season In VA
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 12:14 AM
Hokie3

Default Urban Archery Season In VA

The urban archery season for Blacksburg, Va starts this Saturday. I got permission from a couple of farmers to hunt their land. This evening I drove up to the farm to try and figure out where the deer were coming into the field. When I got there, I saw about 25 does standing at the front of the field! The nice thing is, these deer have never had pressure on them and they let me watch them graze the alfalfa from about 150 yards away. About 30 minutes from dark, I looked to the back of the field and saw what appeared to be an 8 or 10 point buck! Unfortunately, we can't take bucks during the urban archery season. I guess they're afraid people will pass on too many does waiting for the shot on a buck. It may be the hardest thing I ever have to do if I have to just sit and watch this deer under my stand while waiting for a shot on a doe. I'll be going after my first deer with a bow so I'm not going to get too picky. I'll consider any deer a trophy and remember it for the rest of my life!

p.s. The other great thing about the Urban Archery season is that they are encouraging us to take as many deer as we can during the two week season!!!