HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Kentucky Rifles
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Kentucky Rifles

Aught Six you should really check the auction sites if you want to save some money. I picked up a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins Flintlock for under $200.00 that when I inspected it I could not tell if it had ever been fired. What a beautiful rifles.

I was shooting it yesterday. It fired 33 shots on one edege of a flint and the accuracy as always was outstanding. This one for some reason really likes a real stout load or a real light one but nothing in between. This rifle's hunting load turns out it is 90 grains of Goex 3f and a patched roundball. That round has some real zip to it down range. I can target plink with just 45-50 grains of Goex 3f and the accuracy is so good I could use to small game hunting if I wanted to...

The nice thing about Thompson Center is the warranty. It is sure hard to beat. And when your rifle is broke, there is nothing more frustrating then having someone tell you it will take a month to get a simple screw too you.

My flintlock Trade Rifle in .54 caliber is a great sparker and shooter although it is a little harder on the flints. I average about 23 shots per side. The sparking is great through. The bigger caliber is a real plus for hunting.