HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Kentucky Rifles
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 02:47 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Kentucky Rifles

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

I've never gotten into BP shooting or hunting, but I'd like to start. I'm trying to find a decent flintlock longrifle from the 18th century era and need some recommendations. I've priced Dixie Gun Works, Cabela's, and Traditions so far. Can anyone recommend another manufacturer/supplier to check out?

I'd like to stick to Revolution-era rifles, but I might consider a good Hawken flintlock instead. Recommendations on those would also be much appreciated.
David Pedersolli of Italy has an excellent assortment of different flintlocks in all styles and calibers. He also has some muskets which even though they are smoothbore are still accurate out to 50 yards and further (my .62 caliber smoothbore starts to loose hunting accuracy for me at 50 yards, others I am sure can do better).

There are custom gun makers of course but you are talking some serious money at some of them. If percussion locks are acceptable then there are other makers out there that carry some Civil War and much earlier models of rifles in larger calibers that would be good for hunting.

Also keep an eye on some of the Auction Sites. Lyman Great Plains Rifles and Lyman Trade Rifles come up for sale often as do a number of Thompson Center Hawkins and Renegades, although the flintlocks are more scarce....