HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what is this world coming to
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 08:44 PM
PositiveBo

Default RE: what is this world coming to

Okay ya'll, let the record show that I agree with the sentiments expressed thus far.

That being said, I'll say this: The safest, among the greatest, and the most reliable hunting partner I've ever known almost mistook me for a jake turkey after rolling him and we collectively began searching for its recovery. I've hunted in numerous states for myriad game with this fellow, he'll continue to have my utmost respect and trust...but if it can happen to him, trust me when I tell you it can happen to anyone.

You see, it's easy to say it could never happen to you, and almost to a person, those involved in hunting accidents would say the exact same thing. Angles, light, color, hot/recent game activity, fog/ mist, sleep deprivation, excitement, and many other complications factor into this equation.

I remember working a hot gobbler, sixty yards judging by the sound of his gobbles/drumming...just waiting to break into view in the thick hardwoods (flash hunt), of course my firearm was up and pointed in his direction for a slight shift and shot. Next thing you know, a hunter appears exactly where I expected the gobbler to show, but it wasn't as simple as that, I was just seeing slight movement...turkey like movement, not ten yards from my deke and his human form obstructed by the brush. No, I didn't shoot him, but I did instantly understand how accidents happen.

I've seen so many people insist they're so safety conscience only to catch them unaware of the direction of their firearm's muzzle, even slightly, whether at the cabin, truck, ATV, fence crossing, or as they tripped/stumbled. None of us is infallible and that is why these tend to be such tragic accidents. Ever had a car wreck? Even a minor one? I fancy myself among the safest of drivers...but I've had a few, it happens. Suggesting to the young among us that these accidents only happen to morons is a grave injustice, we need to constantly prepare them, even lambaste them on firearm safety and the many tricks that can lead to accidents.

That being said, I only hunt with the safest among us, and they've been told that if the unthinkable were to happen to me (dying) at their hands, that I freely understood the risks, trusted them implicitly, and although unfortunate...to never stop hunting even though a tragedy occurred. I forgive them and I would be at peace with it.

Hunting is an extremely dangerous sport, rarely are second chances extended...and accidents don't just happen to morons, although that seems to be the party-line.