HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tried the new Saber Tooth bullets............
Old 05-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Mark whiz
Typical Buck

Default Tried the new Saber Tooth bullets............

......... from Harvester yesterday.

These are Harvester's answer to Powerbelts - a full caliber bullet with a 3/8inch long sabot cup on bottom. I shot the 300gr & 350gr models (the weights my Knight USAK seems to like the best) and I have to say I wasn't inpressed with their performance.

I set up targets at 75yds and started the 300gr bullets with 80gr of 2fg 777 (which works best with every other 300gr sabot & powerbelt) and group size was almost 2". Upped the charge to 85gr and group sunk to 1.5". Then I tried the 350s with 90gr of 777 - the 3 shots didn't even stay on half a 8.5X11 sheet of paper. [:'(] .

As a point of reference, my best loads in those weight classes with XTPs, SSTs, and several Precicsion Rifle sabots will all the the same hole at 75yds, with the 348gr Powerbelts close to that too. So, these Harvesters really ain't cutting the mustard for me at this point.

I did retrieve most of the spent sabot cups at the 25yd mark and I think they tell the tale as to why performance wasn't great. Everyone of them was expanded to a diffent size - .010 of an inch from least expanded to most expanded. And the least expanded only opened up .01" more then bore diameter and half of it didn't even contact the bore rifling at ALL. At first glance I'd have to say that there are some quality control issues that keep these from shooting more consistantly. Also, they are labeled as "Copper-Clad" bullets - But I believe they are actually PLATED bullets because they DID leave some leading behind in the bore....... which is something the lead No Excuses Conicals don't even do in that rifle.

These bullets ARE cheaper than PowerBelts................but it looks like they may be a reason why they are cheaper. For a full-caliber bullet - the No Excuses 460s still get my nod.

But that's just my 2 cents worth.