HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Comparing ballistics
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Slamfire

Default RE: Comparing ballistics

If your bullet has a sectional density of .250 or over you don't have to hide your head. That's just a better'n the 130 grain .270. I prefer the 140 .264s for big stuff with a SD of .284 them puppies will travel a long way through meat and some pretty big bones. The 160s travel well enough to reach an elephants brain, but the smartest guy who tried it said they had a tendency to bend and wander off course. As for range an increase of 200 fps at the muzzle will probably buy you 25 yards greater distance for the same drop. So you can see why a 3100 fps trajectory was considered flat when compared to 2300 fps, its an increase of a whole 100 yards. Shoot even my pop gun .260'll do 2700 with heavy bullets, so I'm only givin' up 50 yards on the surface and with a bullet that is catchin' up all the way, out past 300 yards it'll be goin' faster than that "flat" shooter. Construction is a different matter, but the bullet compaines had 100 years to come up with somethin that'd work at impact velocities of upwards of 3000 fps, and they did a pretty good job. Add RUMs and impact velocities of more'n 3100 fps and they needed to come up with somethin' better that's what all them super premiums are for. You can see I don't have a need for a bullet that'll do that mine'll never go that fast. [8D] Y'all have a nice day.