HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY Longbeard - pic
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2005, 09:36 AM
MassHntr
Fork Horn

Default NY Longbeard - pic

Third day of the NY season, in Otsego County (Cooperstown), my buddy and I were moving in to set up next to a field when a nearby gobble at 4:55 made us find the closest trees. I could just see him with another bird in a large maple about 50 yards away and I figured we were busted. He responded to soft tree yelps and finally flew down about 70 yards away. I could barely see him in the dim light as he strutted for a bit and then wandered directly away from us. I thought the game was over but he returned about 10 minutes later with another longbeard and three jakes. They made their way along the edge of the woods towards us and got to about 35 yards. They were coming at a sharp angle to my trigger hand and I had to chance a slight move since I am less than deadly left-handed. They saw it and turned. I tried to watch the largest tom as they switched places as they moved away. When he stuck his head up, the red dot was on his neck. He had an 8" beard, 1" and 1.25" hooks, and weighed just over 18 lbs. I checked my watch - 5:20.