HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Comparing ballistics
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 09:20 AM
BareBack Jack
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Comparing ballistics

Now I think everyone kinda knows when it comes to Bigger game than deer a heavy for caliber bullets do better on game,Right.Is'nt that why when ever someone mentions a 270 for ELK,about everyguy that owns on s"Say Pick the 140's and 150 and yuell'be fine"or I'm using a 30-06 for elk
"I would take the 180 gr bullet of good construction and aim for the boiler room so on and so on."

Now that makes sense right,bigger the bullet the more lead,the more the penetration,more knock down power(shock to the animal).
Thats why you don't see very many guys posing with their B&C Bull elk and 130 from a 30-06 or 110 SP from a 270.Oh I'm shure someone has done it,but the Higher you climb into the caliber class the more weight you will contend.

As for the trajectory,well thats science and I never could get thru that in College,(let alone spelling).I figure the more powder behind a projectile the faster it flies ther for it flys farther,so look at it this way,you can only defiy gravity and aerodinamic's for so long.You move the 30-06 out 500 yds,with standared run of the mill 180 core-lok and put is besides the 300 Ultra mag with a 180 nosler,the 300 will get there first and less drop,think of those inches as yards for every inch your low from point of aim thats minus 1 Yds from the target.
Well thats how I think about it.
But the I'm no Physics Schollar(or speller)
BBJ