HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Comparing ballistics
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 07:24 AM
cherokee_outfitters
Typical Buck

Default RE: Comparing ballistics

I grew up comparing ballistics. An old hornady loading manual was like my bible. But these guys are right when you consider 3 to 4 inches of drop max at 400yds whats the point in arguing what preforms better. If the man knew his rifle and his drop then he's gonna kill just as efficient as the next guy. If a man only shot at 200yds then the 45-70 would be one of the ulitmate choices based on bullet diameter and energy displacement when it hits the animal. There's no substitute for a big bullet wacking an animal. It just plain hurts them.

But if your a handloader, you know what you can get at the 400 to 500yd mark with other rifle's that don't have a bore size as big as your thumb. I don't worry about the long shots because my handloads have more energy than most of the big boys at that range. And they are alot flatter. But on the other hand it's the close shots where the bullet is traveling alot faster and the impact doesn't have that energy displacement. It just zip's right through, it kills them sure but I get alot better knock downs at 200 plus yards then up close. Because I like a flatter shooting cartridge's then I know I won't be hunting brown bears with the same rifle. In my most honest opinion a man should use what he can shoot well. And it would do all the rifle hunters well to throw them books in the trash and don't read no new article's on what is hot and so much better. Just take ole faithful to the rifle range and practice some more.