HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wa. House considering Game Law Changes
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
WANWTF

Default RE: Wa. House considering Game Law Change

Last I heard is they won't even consider releasing more easterns on the west side until they have some idea of how they are actually doing. They haven't a clue as to the number of birds, where they are, or anything like that. I remember Dan saying those on the westside should take notes on birds they see through out the year, # of hens, # of toms, when and where just to get a rough idea as to what we actually have.

If you think about it, the birds on the east side had 30 years w/out hunting pressure to take hold. We transplanted 300 easterns in 96ish up and down the I-5 corridor (which we just paid off not too recently) and that has been it. Considering there was no ban of any sort for hunting them, I don't think they are doing too bad.

If you want more easterns, start relaying your information and try to get some sort of handle on how well they are doing. I don't know why WDFW has a gripe about releasing more, NWTF paid for those birds and they held our hands as we released them.

FYI I think it cost about 300 a bird to trap them in the midwest, transport, and release - that's a big bill to have - thanks all you NWTF members for your work, time and donations.